[Coco] Am9511 Arithmetic Processing Unit Cartridge Pak for the Color Computer

Don Barber don at dgb3.net
Tue Mar 14 19:35:38 EDT 2023

Sorry, I should clarify. I should say I did not design my Pak to have
direct memory access.

Evidently it is doable to pair the Am9511 with a DMA controller to do
such, as described in figure 7.5 of the APU manual (Page 45 of
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/barberd/coco9511pak/main/docs/Am9511A-9512FP_Processor_Manual.pdf).
But this design is for the 8080.

I don't recall seeing any add-ons to the CoCo for DMA (other than the
VDG doing that by design); I'd think the SAM/GIME would get in the way
of such? Maybe something could be hacked together by sending the HALT*
line high and doing direct memory manipulation?

Anyone have access to IEEE publications?
https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.1981.290914
<https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.1981.290914> might be interesting.

Thanks,

Don