[Coco] DriveWire 4 Installation

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Thu Feb 9 14:47:54 EST 2023

No, I didn’t run the installer. Out of habit, I unpacked the file to see if it would run on its own - and it works just fine. (I have my reasons…)

I’ll back up a bit:

I ran across the ‘starter kits’ and decided to try them out since I don’t have a drivewire cable for my CoCo3 yet.  Yesterday I installed both the Xroar and Vcc kits which led to having two copies of DriveWire in the Program Files folder: DriveWire4 4.3.3o and DriveWire 4.3.3p. I assumed that one would overwrite the other, but it didn't. Looking at what I did before, the program seemed to operate within its own folder, so there shouldn’t be any issues with multiple copies and I let it pass without removing one.

The first installation (4.3.3o) works if I run it as an administrator, but there are some issues. At the top of the window it shows that it is instance 2 and running on port 6800. It’s the only copy running, and VCC is configured to use port 65504. It works, though...

The second installation doesn't work at all. I still get the splash screen for a moment and then nothing.

I’m guessing that something did happen between these two installations. I’m inclined to uninstall it and try again.

I intend to install DriveWire on another computer located next to my CoCo3 instead. I also have a CoCoFPGA - and I think it just needs a basic serial cable - so I may be able to test over there instead.