[Coco] CoCoFEST! Communications

Jim Brain (2022-23 GCCC President) president at glensideccc.com
Mon Apr 10 23:39:56 EDT 2023

On 4/10/2023 9:40 PM, John Mark Mobley via Coco wrote:
> I don’t care what we use, but it would be nice if we could all agree on one app. We don’t actually need anything, but I would like to try something and see how it works out.
>
> How can we reach an agreement? If that is even possible? Is there a way to connect multiple apps together? Should we take a poll? Should we leave it up to the Glenside communication director?

John Mark (and others)

I can understand the frustration, but note that some of the club's
existing communication methods also offer similar functionality to
Telegram.  Facebook offers Group Chats, and I just enabled the General
Chat in the FB group:

https://m.me/ch/AbaEUlgIF67CG09D/

Of course, this requires a FB account, and I know some folks are not
keen on that.

Though the club does not officially have a Discord Server, I know a
number of folks use the CoCo Discord: https://discord.com/invite/4J5nHXm

Both allow phone to phone audio and video calls.

If the scheduling need does not need to be in real time, there are some
other options:

We have an official channel there as well (I forgot about it, so I'll
see about getting the main web site content over there):
https://twitter.com/glensideccc

If you're on IRC, there's the Libera.Chat:#coco and #tandy channels
There might be similar ones on EFNet, but I can't seem to log onto that
server right now to check.

There's also the obligatory USENET group comp.sys.tandy:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.tandy

Lots of folks also use email for these things, and there's a host of
mailings lists (like this one) that we use.

As you noted, Telegram, WhatsApp, SnapChat, Instagram, etc. are other
options, though I don't believe the group has an official presence on
any of those.

My point is that there are an almost infinite number of these services,
and finding one that will serve everyone's needs and political and/or
privacy concerns. I am not sure it will be possible to select any of the
contemporary services that will address everyone's concerns.  Email
might be the least common denominator.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, 2022-23 President