[Coco] Uemacs

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:41:49 EST 2022

On 2/11/22 02:39, Jeff Teunissen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 4:14 PM Bill Gunshannon
> <bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> So, I have my OS9 system up and running.  Not tethered to a Pi,
>> but running DriveWire anyway.
>>
>> Now I have been working on getting Uemacs working so I have a
>> usable full screen editor.  I am doing all my work logged in
>> remotely using Putty so after much futzing around IO have built
>> two versions of Uemacs.  One for an ANSI terminal and another
>> for the COCO screen and keyboard.  Curious if anyone else has
>> ever made this work?  Ran into a number of problems getting it
>> to build but I found workarounds.  Only problem now is I have
>> to turn off echo manually before starting Uemacs up.  There is
>> a routine call ttopen() which is supposed to do that but as
>> near as I can tell I don't think it even gets called.  The
>> same problem exists in both versions.  And, as a side  note,
>> the Password prompt for login doesn't successfully turn echo
>> off either.  :-)
>
> It's even worse, login doesn't even try to turn echo off.

Huh?

----------
killecho pshs  x,b,a
          leax  >popts,u
          ldb   #SS.Opt                  get path options
          clra                                   for stdin
          os9   I$GetStt                 get status
          bcs   notscf                   branch if error
          lda   (PD.OPT-PD.FST),x                                get
path type
          cmpa  #DT.SCF                  SCF device?
          bne   notscf                   branch if not
          lda   (PD.EKO-PD.FST),x
          pshs  a                                save path echo flag
          clr   (PD.EKO-PD.FST),x
          bsr   setopts
          puls  a
          sta   (PD.EKO-PD.FST),x
          puls  pc,x,b,a
-------
And
------
          lbsr  killecho
          leax  >Pass,pcr
          ldy   #PassLen
          lbsr  L0347

 From login.asm

> On my CoCos (both real and virtual) I use a version of login that I
> wrote in C. It properly disables and restores echo, disallows logins
> for users with * as the password (so you can make users that aren't
> actually allowed to login), prints the MOTD, etc. I probably didn't
> need to go that far,  but I got bored.

I was hoping to write some new stuff as well.  I thought of login
but first I am more interested in the networking.  A new inetd with
more granularity in the logging options.  And a tftp server would
be nice for moving files back and forth.  As a long time Kermit
backer I tried to get a version of kermit to run on the COCO under
OS9 but have had no luck so far.  I did add a version of cat on
my system which lets me cut and paste text files (mostly C and ASM
source) to move them. Build has this problem with not liking blank
lines which my cat fixes.  :-)

> As for uemacs, I have been seeking out all the various versions of
> uemacs so that I can put every change everyone made in the '80s into
> context, get the difference between the CoCo port and the original
> MicroEMACS source, and make a patch that can be applied to other
> versions of the code. If that is possible, we could maybe update the
> code to newer releases.

I have a couple other copies but I don't see any chance of going
beyond what we have as size is a problem.  I have used MicroEMACS
since the original PC version under DOS.  I have also used real
EMACS on things like VMS, PRIMOS and Unix so I am comfortable
with it.  It kind of works now but I have had at least one case
where it truncated a file but that may have been my fault.  As
I said, I do almost all of my work from a remote terminal using
Putty so I have a full size screen and real keyboard.  As a long
time programmer it makes a big difference.

I like doing this with the COCO, but I really wish I could find
an old 6809 system cheap somewhere to work with as well.  Wonder
where all the Perkin Elmer stuff went?  :-)

bill