[Coco] Uemacs

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Fri Feb 11 02:39:09 EST 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 4:14 PM Bill Gunshannon
<bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So, I have my OS9 system up and running.  Not tethered to a Pi,
> but running DriveWire anyway.
>
> Now I have been working on getting Uemacs working so I have a
> usable full screen editor.  I am doing all my work logged in
> remotely using Putty so after much futzing around IO have built
> two versions of Uemacs.  One for an ANSI terminal and another
> for the COCO screen and keyboard.  Curious if anyone else has
> ever made this work?  Ran into a number of problems getting it
> to build but I found workarounds.  Only problem now is I have
> to turn off echo manually before starting Uemacs up.  There is
> a routine call ttopen() which is supposed to do that but as
> near as I can tell I don't think it even gets called.  The
> same problem exists in both versions.  And, as a side  note,
> the Password prompt for login doesn't successfully turn echo
> off either.  :-)

It's even worse, login doesn't even try to turn echo off.

On my CoCos (both real and virtual) I use a version of login that I
wrote in C. It properly disables and restores echo, disallows logins
for users with * as the password (so you can make users that aren't
actually allowed to login), prints the MOTD, etc. I probably didn't
need to go that far,  but I got bored.

As for uemacs, I have been seeking out all the various versions of
uemacs so that I can put every change everyone made in the '80s into
context, get the difference between the CoCo port and the original
MicroEMACS source, and make a patch that can be applied to other
versions of the code. If that is possible, we could maybe update the
code to newer releases.