[Coco] Getting back into the Coco Community after a 4+ year break

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Feb 4 04:51:15 EST 2022

On Friday, February 4, 2022 1:51:37 AM EST computerdoc wrote:
> Hello Coco Community!
> After a 4+ year hiatus, I am getting back into the Coco Community.
> A very brief history of the last 4 years would be moving to NC in
> January 2018, helping and taking care of my parents, helping Mom with
> and through the last days of my father as well as details concerning
> Dad's funeral. I have also been treated for heart failure for the last
> 2 years and doing well. An upcoming procedure is yet to be planned.
> I have been studying the Raspberry Pi 4B as well as the CM4 boards. My
> main RPi systems are 2 - CM4 8GB boards on a RPi Official IO board and
> on a Waveshare IO board and 1 - CM4 4GB board on a 4B style carrier
> board. I also have 1 - 4B 8GB board housed in an ArgonOne M.2 case with
> an M.2 1TB SSD drive as my regular 4B system. In addition to all that,
> I have 2 - 4B 4GB boards, 1 - 4B 2GB board, and a 3B+. You might say I
> got deep into Rasbberry Pis! :)
> I am writing the list to seek assistance in setting up my local Coco
> disk software build system on my new (to me) HP ZBook laptop running
> both Windows 11 and Linux Mint like I use to do in Windows 7 years
> back. I might setup Cygwin on Windows 11 with the NitrOS-9 build system
> just to have a starting point before getting everything running in
> Linux.  Anyone who has experience with Linux Mint (a debian variation)
> running on an HP ZBook Xeon Laptop and TwisterOS v2.1.2 (currently) on
> my Raspberry Pis as the OSes being used to build Lwtools, Toolshed,
> NitrOS-9 and etcetera coco software packages in sharing their setup
> ideas would be a big help.
> I have begun trying to get Lwtools, Toolshed, and NitrOS-9 build
> systems running on my laptop in Linux Mint to no avail so far. Some
> deep diving is required to continue in this direction. Stoppage on
> TwisterOS is not knowing how to solve some of the tool differences
> required between my previous Cygwin setup and using real linux systems
> as mentioned. Any help would be much appreciated.
> I am looking forward to getting back into NitrOS-9 again at whatever
> version it is currently and exploring all the new boards I have only
> heard about up to this point.
> Zippster, what is your web site again? I want to check out your boards
> again. Any other websites sporting boards for the Cocos are most
> welcome as well. I'd like to reconnect with all my close friends again,
> but email addresses will be needed as my entire email setup has been
> totally redone in both Windows 11 and Linux systems! I am really
> looking forward to chatting with you guys again. Until next time, Take
> care my friends.
>
> Kip Koon
> Fellow Coco Enthusiast

Welcome back Kip. Heart trouble, goes with long term DM-II. So I have a
pacemaker for 3 years now and a new aortic valve for 2 years these days
but doing well.

Only windows in this house are glass, its all linux, debian and raspios
versions. I have now converted 4 metalworking machines to cnc, one of
which is being run by a rpi4, the 11x54 Sheldon lathe, which I did just
to see if it could be done. Its doing dances it could not do when it was
shipped to the Navy 80 years ago. The other 3 are run by used off-lease
dell's running linux, all using linuxcnc.

I have a realtime kernel, two versions in fact, for the pi's, both in
armhf flavor because its latency is less. So it that dept, I might be
able to help.

I also discovered 3d printers and have designed a variation of the
harmonic drive I can print in PETG, and am in the process of fine tuning
that. I intent to use it on one of my milling machines as a 4th, rotary
axis. Those are somewhat like the leg joints in the Boston Dynamics Big
Dog but only costs about 10 bucks to build, which is quite a discount
from the $2000 and up steel joints used in Big Dog. Part of the secret is
the use of printed ball bearing races, stuffed wih crosman bb's for their
balls. Its not quite as precise, and wears out a little faster, but for
$2000, I can print 100 of these.

Keeps me out of the bars as I'm alone now, my wife passed from COPD on
Pearl Harbor Day 2020.

Take care, stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)