[Coco] Text/Background Screen Inversion

Brendan Donahe brendan at polylith.com
Thu Feb 3 14:42:47 EST 2022

Michael,

While what Alex describes is certainly the most straightforward approach,
I'd think it would also be possible to (on a 64k CoCo 1 or 2, at least), be
able to patch a copy of the BASIC ROM in RAM for use within all your
BASIC-only programs.  I'm not sure which system(s) you're targeting or in
what software you want to preserve your reverse-video.  The problem is that
even with a BASIC patch, other ML software you might launch from BASIC
likely overwrites that video mode setting and would not preserve the bit
change you wrote to the VDG control register.  $FF22 bit 5, in particular,
would be of interest to you - see page 50 of
https://www.lomont.org/software/misc/coco/Lomont_CoCoHardware.pdf.

If you want it permanent without copying the ROM to RAM and patching BASIC
or in various software packages, a hardware solution would be best.
Assuming we're talking about the CoCo 1 or 2, you can invert the sense of
the INV pin on the 6847 VDG with a hardware hack.  This was a common
modification back-in-the-day.

Hope this helps,
Brendan