[Coco] XRoar 1.0 released

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Nov 28 13:01:26 EST 2021

Using AppData for a ROM location must be a recent change. Previously it was only where the .exe was or in a sub folder in documents. I see it lists:

Platform	ROM path
Unix/Linux	~/.xroar/roms:prefix/share/xroar/roms
Windows	:~/Documents/XRoar/roms:~/AppData/Local/XRoar/roms:
~/AppData/Roaming/XRoar/roms
Mac OS X	~/Library/XRoar/roms:prefix/share/xroar/roms

The reason AppData is useful is due to folks who do not have their Documents folder in the default location. All modern Windows 10 installs will try to force the user to have Internet access, a Windows login and OneDrive enabled. OneDrive will move the location of the Documents folder to a different path which XRoar would not find.

Ideally, there should be an easy way to detect the Documents location, since having Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. sync Documents allows your ROMs and configuration files to work in all your systems. AppData does not sync like that, as far as I have seen.

Once we figure out how modern windows wants to locate Documents, I suspect he can make that be an option as well.

As far as bad ROMs, I gave up on MAME long ago since every time they updated it seems I had to go out and get entirely new ROM sets because of this. Nowadays I just grab a preconfigured install from archive.org or wherever that someone has already done all the work for.