[Coco] Now running with 2M boomerang Memory.

Kevin Becker kevin at kevinbecker.org
Sat Jun 6 22:58:50 EDT 2020

I just use  non-vairable temp Weller soldering iron with a fairly fine
tip, solder wick, and a flux pen.  I dunno if I'm somehow particularly
adept at soldering or have just been lucky so far but I've done a fair
amount of recapping and replacing components on old systems, including
a 6809 > 6309 upgrade, and have never had an issue so far.  Applying
flux to the solder wick and to the component I am removing beforehand
seems to help a lot.  I'd love a nice solder sucker but the cheap ones
all seem to be junk from what I've read.

In my youth I learned to solder during an internship at an small
engineering firm and one of my tasks was to tear apart a bunch of
control modules that had been filled with resin to make a small change
to the circuit board.  So I had to dremel open the case, rip off the
resin from both sides of the PCB, repair whatever damage I did ripping
off the resin, and then make the modification and reassemble the
module. I also did a few weeks on the assembly line just soldering new
PCBs all day.  So that was some good, in the trenches, solder training
but to be honest after that, I  more or less never soldered anything
for 20+ years other than the odd job here and there so I don't feel
like I'm particularly skilled at soldering. Vision is becoming an issue
with me too these days.  I have variable lenses too and I just remove
them completely for some tasks but I'm probably gonna need to get one
of those magnifying glasses on an adjustable base very soon.