[Coco] High density drives with the CoCo

David Ladd davidwladd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 21:30:36 EDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:56 AM, Mark Marlette <mmarlette at frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> Allen,
>

> I have a controller that has been modified as Robert Brose from or local
> user group was the one that created this mod and driver patches. It is a
> monster of a hack. Pretty much like making a controller by hand. I just
> looked at it the other day.

​Yes I remember doing this mod to the old 12V controller I have.  It was
for sure a time consuming mod piggy backing all those extra chips and
running the extra wires.​

> It does work very well, I even modified the hardware even further to
> automatic sense the floppy type and adjust the data transfer rate.
> To the best of my knowledge, the high density mode of 500Kbps(digging deep
> in to memory on this number)  is only available on the older WD177x, 40 pin
> versions(+12V).

​Yes the 3.5" floppy drive was nice to use it's detection pin for the
floppy disk to switch the controllers mode.​

The only down side is you have to make sure the system is in turbo mode to
use this mod.  Otherwise the computer can't keep up lol.

One of the few modded hardware I miss not having actively usable currently.

> May be the J&M can do it, that I am not sure of.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Marlette
> http://www.cloud9tech.com
> mark at cloud9tech.com
> mark at gamecamaddict.com

​

| David Ladd a.k.a. PacoOtaktay a.k.a. Drencor                          |
| YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay                      |
| YouTube Gaming Live: https://gaming.youtube.com/user/PacoOtaktay/live |
| Websites: http://dwladd.com     &     http://www.theterrorzone.com    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/113262444659438038657                    |
| G+:  https://plus.google.com/+DavidLaddPacoOtaktay                    |
| Do you have your CoCo 3 yet?                                          |