[Coco] is this a bug?

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Apr 20 03:39:20 EDT 2017

Just in case anyone's curious, I'm attempting to make a slightly
modified version of Brett's boot ROM for the CoCo3FPGA.  He did an
excellent job with the booter except that it was assembled on a
non-native assembler and ported over.  Perhaps I am being sort of a
purist but I'm trying to make this work directly under OS9.  I figure
I've got a fast enough machine and all of my work files are on a fast SD
card. It takes all of two seconds to assemble the file.  So why not?

Brett's loader allows the OS9Boot file to be placed anywhere on the disk
so the use of a 'gen' program is no longer necessary.  If you want to
modify or change around which modules are in your bootfile then you
simply do it and re-boot.  He has taken a lot of the hassle out of the
process.  However, I know that at some time I will erroneously create a
boot file that will not boot and then I'll be stuck (yes, I could switch
back to DECB and use DW but I don't want to do that).  So I want to
create a boot loader than can not only use the OS9Boot file but also, as
a fail-safe, another file such as OS9Boot.safe could be optionally
selected in case I get myself in such a bind.

Dave