[Coco] More experiments in RG6 video on a CoCo2.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Apr 17 14:16:04 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 08:45:36PM -0500, Zippster wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Yes I believe that was a CoCo 3 he was using.
>
> I don’t know exactly what John was doing, but I don’t think so.
> It sounded like he was doing dithering and some other processing on the CoCo side.
>
> I’m using pre-rendered data with a precisely timed sector read routine at the maximum
> speed that I can do with available machine cycles.  More of a brute-force technique that
> is also intimately tied to the sector size/format.
>
> Here’s another little RG6 clip…
> <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGncXlfTTZGNnBFVmc <https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sgl615FlGncXlfTTZGNnBFVmc>>

Similar to your player, all the video processing happens off-line. In
my case, part of that processing determines how much change there is
between frames and prioritizes those parts of the screen with the most
change for the next update. Frames with lots of change don't always
get completed in a single update, but with slower changes (i.e. a
dialogue rather than a car chase) the screen gets updated a full 60fps.

Here's my reminder:

	https://youtu.be/42jBBrqn70w

John