[Coco] Tcp off-loading on CoCo

Mark D. Overholser marko555.os2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 13:54:00 EDT 2017

On 12-Apr-17 18:41, Lee Patterson wrote:
> So I’ve been trying to think about what the Coco would want to use
> networking for. And how to accomplish it. I would agree that the
> practicality of running a browser on the coco would be pretty much a
>  no go, but a connection to a BBS type site would be feasible. Games
>  would be the other huge user. And then there is an internet joystick
>  and perhaps an drivewire on someone else’s machine? Personally the
> game idea is what I’m focused on.

I agree %100....   The Classic BBSs on the Internet would be a Given...
  I see Networked Games as a Growth Area..   Making New Games, as well
as, Modifying or Rewriting existing games..
DUNGEONS OF DAGGORATH is on my list to see about Networking..  As well
as porting it to the Apple ][ and maybe the C64, Networked of course...

William Astle has Source Code for DUNGEONS OF DAGGORATH already..

> I think these requirements would float my boat:

> - If there was a cartridge I could plug in that would in turn
> connect to my local network via wifi.

That would be a nice option...  The ESP8266 some people are working with
are inexpensive, but seem to have some Firmware issues..   But that
might be a short term issue..  An Ethernet variation would provide the
Same Opportunities, but "tethered"..

> - When the cart is the active cartridge, a small UI for logging into
> the network would be provided.

There should be Firmware to set your Local IP Address, Net Mask and
Gateway, and possibly the MAC Address, and of course the Foreign Address
and Port Number.  Also, if the WiFi or Ethernet Adapter doesn't support
some Higher Functions,  It might be nice to have this code respond to
PING requests, do DNS Resolution, and DHCP Requests.

> - Coco can write bytes to the cartridge to tell it where to connect
> to, then buffer bytes it reads back from network connection.

I would think having a "network" API in the Cartridge would be the Best,
otherwise every programmer would need to add specific Network Code to
their Application, rather than Call an API that could "Bridge" the
differences between WiFi and Ethernet..

> - Perhaps provide an interrupt that the coco would receive when data
> comes in.

The Cartridge ROM should have "optional" code to manage the Input and
Output buffers and to generate Interrupts if desired.  Otherwise you get
specified Network Code in your Application.

> - Can the cartridge read the Coco’s memory on it’s own while the
> coco is doing other stuff? Maybe that’s the DMA I have heard about?

If you can connect an external Processor that can use the CoCo's Memory,
it should be possible to have a Network Interface do the same thing..

> Lee

MarkO