[Coco] RAM expansion options for the CoCo 3

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Tue Apr 11 15:40:40 EDT 2017

DECB supports 32k of RAM with little ability to effectively use the
extra 128 or 512k.  OS-9  Level 2 shines with more RAM. Currently no one
is supporting greater than 512k upgrades.  To the best of my knowledge
Cloud-9 is the only source of new 512k upgrades.  (Unless you are
willing to piggy-back 256k by 4 chips yourself.)  Disto/CRC 1 & 2 Meg
upgrades existed, but the hardware was somewhat kludgey needing
modifications to some DECB programs and tweaking of OS-9 to work as well
as unsoldering the CPU.  NitrOS9 does support 1& 2 Meg units, but
Disto/CRC folded up shop decades ago.  What few 1 & 2 Meg upgrade units
that exist are seldom parted with and carry quite a premium on eBay.

Bruce W.