[Coco] NitrOS9 LEVEL 2 running on Multicomp

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Thu Apr 6 19:08:30 EDT 2017

Yes, the Cyclone II board that Grant uses is nice for a basic project
but you run out of I/O pretty quickly.  I have a Cyclone IV board that
I've worked with and am pretty happy with.  The build quality is also
considerably better than the EP2C5 boards I have purchased.  At 16 bucks
though, you can hardly go wrong!

I've already got a working 6809 system with 512K SRAM (10 ns) and 4MB
Flash and a host of other little goodies but I have not pursued getting
OS9 to run on it.  It will run full tilt at 25 MHz without a problem.
So my proposed new design won't take quite so much debugging since I'm
already part way there. But, yes, a dual-headed board maybe even with
two SD card sockets (1 for backup) and some other goodies and maybe even
a little prototyping area...

The FPGA card costs about double of what the EP2C5 board costs ($34) but
you get double the logic elements (10K), more than triple the internal
block RAM (~50K), and about double the I/O (164) so it's probably worth
it if you're gonna use all of the stuff.

Dave