[Coco] What does it mean to be a member of the CoCo community?

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 21:21:45 EDT 2017

Interesting questions! I can but speak for myself, of course; here goes.

Is there a hierarchy to the CoCo community? Perhaps, but everybody
interested in the CoCo is welcomed and treated with courtesy and respect.
The community isn't centered around a hierarchy.

Is there a reluctance to accept newcomers? Not just no, but heck no. Over
and above it being unwise to reject newcomers if we want the community to
stick around, I and I think others think it's great that new people are
interested.

How do veterans feel about newcomers? I think I already answered that.

What are the requirements to be accepted or deemed legitimate? If there are
requirements, I'd think it's showing interest, being active to the extent
possible, and helping when possible.

Is there an actual "great divide" between OS-9 and RSDOS? Yes, there is.
Nobody nowadays would tolerate it if upgrading, say, a graphics card meant
having to replace every single piece of software one owned; progress in the
computer field would slow down seriously. The way every single RSDOS-based,
or at least loaded, program is intimately tied to every feature and wart of
the CoCo, every programmer independently writing code for I/O etc. is what
killed the CoCo and greatly shrank the CoCo community. (Kevin Darling
recognized it; if anyone has a post that I think he made to CIS--if not
there, then Delphi--titled "You're Killing the CoCo!", I would very much
appreciate a copy of it.) Were it not for RSDOS we'd be a lot further
towards a sort of CoCo V'ger, bypassing the Coco's relentlessly cheap and
CPU-burdening hardware as much as possible, uncoupling the tasks done by
the GIME so they could be improved independently of each other.

That war was lost long ago, though. Today's equivalent of the CoCo as a
small, capable computer that lets you experiment with hardware and/or
software hacking is any of the various SBCs such as the Raspberry Pi. For a
few days' mowing lawns an enterprising young person can get a computer we'd
have killed for back in 1986. Today's EYP and we might both hook up our
computers to our televisions, but our NTSC TV would provide a blurry low
resolution image, but today the TVs are sharp 1920 x 1080 (actually, the
Odroid C2 can drive a "4K" monitor). So keeping the CoCo going is a mixture
of nostalgia and the joy of seeing just how far you can push it and how
long we can collectively keep it around... along with honoring those who
made it possible.