[Coco] CoCo BASICS - clarification on the differences?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Apr 4 12:56:41 EDT 2017

One thing that does not come through very clearly in the answers you
received is this:

The various CoCo's had in general MORE THAN ONE type of Basic ROM
installed. It is not Extended Basic OR Color Basic:  Extended Basic
REQUIRES Color Basic.
Super Extended Basic for the CoCo 3 requires Color Basic and Extended
Basic. Disk Basic also requires Color Basic and Extended Basic. So if you
upgrade a Color Basic CoCo so that it now contains both Extended Basic and
Color Basic ROMs, your old programs will still run.  Same thing if you
upgrade by adding a disk controller containing a Disk Basic ROM.

In terms of the firmware, not all of these were in physically separate
ROMs.  Color Basic, Extended Basic, and Super Extended Basic all exist in a
single ROM on the CoCo 3.  Some if not all CoCo 2s had Color Basic and
Extended Basic in a single ROM.

Art

Art