[Coco] Largest supported HDD size?

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:03:33 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Brett Gordon wrote:

> I notice better seek times with my cf than the sdc.  bit, I cant imagine
> the data transfers being any slower.

Yes, seek time is where the SDC can suffer.  The IDE/SCSI solutions treat
the media as a raw block device and seek directly using a block address.
The CoCo SDC uses files on a FAT16/32 volume to represent the "drives" and
must traverse the allocation table (FAT) to perform logical-to-physical
mapping.  Many sectors of the FAT may have to be read just to determine the
physical block address during a seek.

- Darren