[Coco] OT: Facebook, was: Re: CocoSDC case pics link

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Wed Mar 25 07:20:04 EDT 2015

On Tue, March 24, 2015 2:58 pm, Steve Batson wrote:
> I also agree with this. For me, Facebook is mostly used for keeping in touch
> with Family and Friends to share photos and stuff. I don't really care for
> it's format either as well as the crap people post on it. I don't do the apps.
> I've got it pretty will locked down and keep my friends list to a minimum. I
> do use it to look at the CoCo group as well as a few others.

I've just begun my ninth year on Facebook (since March 13, 2007), shortly
after it was opened to non-college people.

Facebook has been the single most important way in which I've met with current
students (with the messaging), followed former students, received commissions
and gotten performances of my music, connected with other composers around the
world, arranged performances and trips to performances (as random as Chicago
and Reykjavik), fundraised for my opera in 2011, publicized concerts and
events, shared new ideas and books, engaged in incredible discussions, and
even found a few old friends and teachers. It's enabled connections with
people for research as well as those who can identify locations and
photographs. It's also been a lot of fun with buckets of wordplay and even a
little politics now & then.

If I'm going to give up privacy -- I'm not really a private person, anyway --
at least I want something worthwhile back for it. Facebook has been so good
for me that I'd even pay for it! :)

Dennis