[Coco] ROM Development question

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Thu Mar 12 01:15:11 EDT 2015

Hi Lou,
> If I were starting from scratch and going through many many iterations I would hate to have to burn/erase/burn/erase an EPROM.  I guess an EEPROM would work, but that requires you to extract, program, insert, extract, program, insert... etc...   Is there a better way?
An EPROM eliminator can be used to speed up software development which is something I want to build for the Kipper SBC software development.  The software development, assemble/compile, burn, fix bugs, reassemble/compile, erase, reburn cycle was used for many years by many people.  Many eproms were needed at one time to reduce the wait time involved in erasing eproms.  I'm not sure when EEPROMs came on the scene.  The Simon6809 actually uses a 2864.  Various monitor programs exist for the 6809.  The monitor program I wanted to use is the one Erturk Kocalar used on his Simon6809 SBC.  One of many interesting features of this monitor is it has a one line assembler/disassembler built in!  assembled code can be downloaded into the monitor using Motorola's S-Record format which most 6809 assemblers can generate.  The monitor could be modified by someone to add the 6309's architecture and instruction set into the one line assembler/disassembler.  I've been wanting that done ever since I had found the Simon6809.  His SBC design is the one I have been eluding to in recent emails.
I have his SBC partially breadboarded.  I really don't remember why I never finished it. I used an adapter PCB for the SMD device he used from FTDI that has a standard 24 pin 0.600" footprint on my breadboard.  I had a lot of difficulty figuring the wiring out on that little adapter PCB.  I couldn't use the SMD chip itself on my breadboard of course.  I could definitely put the SMD USB chip on one of the Kipper SBCs though.  Erturk used a weird way to service the USB chip though.  He used no interrupts.  I figured interrupts is the proper way to go.  The Simon6809 monitor would need to be modified to include this capability.  Let the chip interrupt the 6809 when the USB's incoming buffer is full and the outgoing buffer is empty.  The chip even has 2 interrupt outputs that can be used to signal the 6809.  I can put up the design as I have it developed so far up and let you guys look at it.  Just let me know.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com