[Coco] Kipper SBC v1.1

Kip Koon computerdoc at sc.rr.com
Thu Mar 12 00:43:00 EDT 2015

Hi Joe,
> I for one am a fan of the original configuration with onboard uart and max232.
I too am all for the original design Grant created.  It's kind of like an evaluation SBC like you would get from the Manufacturer of the CPU chip to test the chip's capabilities when it was first created.  I never got a chance to experience that back in the '70s and '80s hence the reason I wanted to build this SBC in the first place.
> I agree the display/keyboard interface should be a separate board for those that wanted it. Perhaps it could be the first Kipper Bus peripheral. Not sure how to handle the addressing changes required if one were to use the interface. Jumpers? Dip switches?
How to add the Terminal and Keyboard on the Kipper Bus is an interesting question.  Grant originally designed it to connect directly to the MC68B50 ACIA chip.  That way no changes in the rom software would need to be made since it would have already been modified to use the 68B50 ACIA chip by this time in Grant's development process.
An appropriate connector could also be put on the Kipper SBC v1 PCB for the terminal/keyboard so both methods would be available.  Maybe no switching would be necessary.

Kip Koon
computerdoc at sc.rr.com