[Coco] CCEDIT and MESS

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 14:30:18 EDT 2015

Robert H.... in Mess, I find the CPU speed setting has a lot to do with the keystroke problems. You have to speed up the CPU (and lose Coco realism) to get all the fast keystrokes... This cannot be set in the non-GUI version. Only the GUI versions have access to the emulation speed (or maybe cmd line). This is for the latest versions. Older versions are not quite as bad. As far as the arrow keys, in natural mode, they are used for "joystick keys" so Mess doesn't see them... In "Coco mode" they seem to work. I have tried all kinds of settings and can't seem to regain control of the arrow keys in "natural mode".
Those are just a "couple" of the problems with the newer (latest) versions of Mess... There are more but I can't remember at the moment. I know there was problems with floppy disk drives and the 2nd HD in OS9, and some real bad problems with Coco 1 & 2 emulations. The Mess dev team has really screwed up the Coco emulation (again!).
I find much older versions are more reliable. The "Becker Port"needs to be added to the older versions as the latest Mess version is trash a far a the Coco is concered. I got tired of even "messing" with it (pun intended) and went back to Vcc where most of the bugs are in my programming and not the emulator :-)
For Coco 1 & 2, I use XRoar.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com