[Coco] OT: Amiga controls heat and AC...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Jun 17 18:07:33 EDT 2015

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 15:16:25 Mathieu Chouinard wrote:
> Why replace something that still works???
> I know it's not as sexy as a brand new android/ios phone
> but it work

The biggest reason is that if that sw was ported to nitros9, you wouldn't
have to reboot it at least weekly.  And there is not a thing that sw
does that the coco/Nitros9 machine couldn't do, and do it on 10% of the
power draw.

Amigados, up to at least 3.9, was still a flat memory system, with zero
memory protection, so a wild pointer in CED would scramble a memory
location it didn't own. A day, a week, sometimes a month might go by
before that corrupted memory was accessed again, and then you have
another guru meditation & reboot.

The only exception to that rule/problem that I am aware of is the PP&S
68040 card, with 64 mags of dram on it, that I had and that Richard
Crislip now owns.  It has a memory manager chip that was  almost
properly used by the 68040.library that came with the card.
Unfortunately, that library was also considerably slower that the Commie
version, and BOTH still had some wild pointer writes that could crash
another program also multitasking with the system.  How many of those
Thomas Richter at math.tu found and fixed I don't know.  The bigger
problem was in getting those fixes into the hands of the end user.

> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Zippster <zippster278 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hey, education is EXPENSIVE.
> >
> > It’s for the kids….   Why do you want our children to fail?
> >
> > - Ed
> >

> > (just kidding)

> >> The disturbing part to me is that they quote a replacement for this
> >> computer to be in the $1M-$2M range...
> >
> > --

> A te quaeso, sicut in Aeneidos libro quarto Aeneas, elocutus
> desiderium erigendi suum obeliscum in templo Venereo Didonis, ab ea
> quaesivit, tuae domi an meae?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)