[Coco] Backing up a HD to an SD

Sat Jun 13 11:54:36 EDT 2015

Hi,

Friend may not be an OS-9 person and have OS-9 running.

Myself having done most of my CoCoing using OS-9 they sound like an idea.

Friend having Floppy, SCSI drives, Drivewire and the CoCo SDC all at the same time usable on the CoCo is perhaps a stretch but perhaps a goal.

Thanks for the ideas, 3) is not an option AFAIK, the 2) does look more promising but he is limited by what hardware he gets working together. 1)  might be a problem, is the CoCo SDC  normally formatted for 256 byte sectors. Or Drivewire 256 byte sectors.

SHF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Nelson" <barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com>
To: <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Backing up a HD to an SD

There are two options that has not been tested and a third one that I have used but may or may not work in any given case.

1) (Not tested) Boot a floppy disk with OS9 and drivers for both hard disks, then try this:

MERGE /OD@ >- /ND@

That SHOULD do a raw sector dump of the contents of OD onto ND. Of course ND must be greater than or equal in size to OD.

2) (Not tested, requires programing) Try to get both hard disks recognized at the same time under HDBDOS or RGBDOS and modify a program I wrote called HDBACK which currently copies one HD floppy partition at a time from one hard drive to another or to physical floppy to instead keep going and copy all floppy partitions on one hard disk to another.

3) (Tested? well, not really, it worked once, for me) Hook both hard drives up to a PC running Linux and use the dd command to do a raw sector dump from one disk to another. This is what I did last time this issue came up. In my case the new "hard disk" was a vhd image file usable by the MESS emulator and DriveWire.

Tell your friend I wish him luck. He'll need it.