[Coco] Backing up a HD to an SD

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Jun 13 02:16:12 EDT 2015

There are two options that has not been tested and a third one that I have used but may or may not work in any given case.

1) (Not tested) Boot a floppy disk with OS9 and drivers for both hard disks, then try this:
MERGE /OD@ >- /ND@
That SHOULD do a raw sector dump of the contents of OD onto ND. Of course ND must be greater than or equal in size to OD.
2) (Not tested, requires programing) Try to get both hard disks recognized at the same time under HDBDOS or RGBDOS and modify a program I wrote called HDBACK which currently copies one HD floppy partition at a time from one hard drive to another or to physical floppy to instead keep going and copy all floppy partitions on one hard disk to another.
3) (Tested? well, not really, it worked once, for me) Hook both hard drives up to a PC running Linux and use the dd command to do a raw sector dump from one disk to another. This is what I did last time this issue came up. In my case the new "hard disk" was a vhd image file usable by the MESS emulator and DriveWire.

Tell your friend I wish him luck. He'll need it.