[Coco] Backing up a HD to an SD

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Fri Jun 12 21:10:08 EDT 2015

Sure, assuming you have a way to plug both devices into the CoCo, and assuming the file system is OS9, you can use DSAVE to copy all the data across.

Format the new device. I will refer to /OD and /ND in the following command line where /OD is your old hard drive and /ND is your new SD card storage.

If you need a boot able file system
COBBLER /ND
then
CHD /OD
DSAVE -T /ND ! SHELL -P

This will copy all files and folders. You will need to either have the correct drivers and device descriptors present in your boot disk, or load the proper drivers so you have drivers for both /OD and /ND loaded and active. If you tell me more specifics about the type of hard drive and how you will hook up the SD card, I can tell you more details.

If the hard drive is formatted using HDBDOS and Disk Extended Color BASIC and not OS9, then it becomes more complex.