[Coco] Getting into Tandy Color Computer 3, Suggestions and Info Needed

tim lindner tlindner at macmess.org
Fri Aug 28 17:39:03 EDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Brandon Tetreau
<brandon.tetreau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe just some clarification, the CoCo SDC allows me to load dsk, rom, and pak files directly from the SD Card?

Yes.

Disks can be loaded and unloaded from the command line.
Disks can also be grouped so the first one loads and then the
subsequent disks can be loaded by pressing a button on the SDC.
Copy protected disks can also be loaded if you can figure out how to
create an .SDF file.

ROM and PAK files could be trickier. Some of those on the internet
have headers that contain emulator information, thus the executable
would be offset.

The DOS that comes with the SDC doesn't contain a command to transfer
a ROM from disk (image) to ROM bank. You'd have to figure out that
from reading past messages.

There are also a handful of Program Paks that contain internal bank
switching hardware, that is not emulated by the SDC.

> and such I can run the HBDDOS rom and then connect to DriveWire?

Yes. But the SDC default DOS contains just enough DriveWire client to
talk to a DriveWire server as well.

tim lindner