[Coco] Is MM/1 to SCART practical?

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Sat Aug 22 04:02:18 EDT 2015

I had problems producing a composite sync with the proper wave form shape inexpensively which is why I steal it from the composite video port. Besides, the SCART video standard actually expects a full composite video signal on that pin, although it  will work in RGB mode if you just supply a valid composite sync. Also, the MM/1 probably has a different video out circuit. I have no idea if it's signal parameters fall close enough to SCART 480i video to make this work. The CoCo 3's RGB output just happens to have the same peak to peak voltages, timings, and everything that happen to coincidently match what SCART expects for a 480i RGB signal which is why this works. Really the CoCo 3 effectively outputs an SCART standard signal, it is just not wired to an SCART plug. That is why this works. I do not know if that is the case for the MM/1, you will need to research that. SCART can accept either a 50Hz (PAL) or 60Hz (NTSC) vertical sync rate at either 15khz horizontal or 30khz horizontal sync. It expects the signals on the RGB lines and the composite sync to be .7 volts peak to peak, and the sync must be a negative going sync pulse.