[Coco] Semigraphics modes examples

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sat Aug 1 18:39:05 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 02:56:53PM -0700, Stephen Robinson wrote:

> I don't really have much time at all for Coco's anymore (sadly). But
> there was one especially large lingering question in my mind. What
> were the semigraphics modes? I heard much about them in the Rainbow
> magazines. How the Coco 3 didn't support them (all). How the size of
> them was odd. Etc.. But never could I find an example to run.
>
> So, if nothing more than to finally solve this childhood mystery, is
> there some reference which I could see to finally explain these
> magical text graphics modes to me?

You may want to catch-up on the CoCo Crew Podcast:

	http://cococrew.org

In the tech segment for Episode 3, I intend to go into some detail
about the "special" semi-graphics modes enabled by the combination
of the 6883 and the 6847 (and not supported by the CoCo3).  This will
be part of the general discussion about the 6883 (aka SAM) chip.

John