[Coco] Open Letter to those who will be attending the The 24thAnnual "Last Chicago CoCoFEST April 25-26, 2015

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 5 16:53:56 EDT 2015

On Sunday 05 April 2015 16:07:46 Tormod Volden wrote:

> >> What do you mean by that?
> >>
> >> Tormod
> >
> > ISTR sending a commit that changed the default SAS value from $08 to
> > $10 at least a year ago.  I assume it was applied.  But let me check
> > my most recent update pull and build.
> >
> > Humm, no, everything is still set at $08 at build time. That would
> > have been a short time (minutes) before install time, which was
> > 2015/1/30 10:15 am, so that commit has never been applied.  Sigh.
>
> Sigh. :) Something like this?
> https://sourceforge.net/p/nitros9/code/ci/e881994bfe30017541c516107b24
>4b57ccb6355f/
>
> Applied something like 1 year and 3 months ago? And part of release
> v3.3.0.

Sounds about right.

> I remember very well spending a lot of time on beating your "proposed
> commits" (in form of file copies based on decade-old checkouts, with
> all kind of non-related changes intertwined) into something that could
> be applied. If I missed something, please let me know and send a
> well-formed patch.
>
> > But, I just found a bug in how "dmode -filename" accesses the file.
> > If the file is not modified, neither should the date/time of the
> > file be modified, but it was updated, I did a "dmode -dd_d035s.dd"
> > and "dmode -dd_tc3.dd", and both files creation dates were updated
> > to the instant I looked but made no changes.  This is in the coco's
> > own /dd/nitros9/6309l2/rbf/modules directory that I would make new
> > kernels from. HOWEVER, I keep a separate directory of descriptors
> > that I use so I don't have to puts with making everything match _my_
> > system,
> >
> > So the ones in memory are mine, and IMO correct, with the values of
> > $10 for 720k floppies and $20 for /dd, which is half a 1Gb hard
> > drive.
> >
> > Curious.  How do I investigate hg's history so I know when and where
> > that commit was sent?  There was some confusion in my mind at one
> > time as to which branch was "tip", the most recent work version.
>
> Maybe there is still some confusion present. Maybe your update
> scripts-of-doom are fooling you around. I am sure you are not using
> the ones I posted for you, nor the simple "hg pull; hg update" from
> the fine manual.

My script was updated since then I believe.  Is this still wrong?

mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
cd nitros9
export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
make dsk
make dskcopy
cd ..
chown -R gene:gene nitros9
echo
echo "nitros9 has been refreshed"

> Please find my mercurial how-to's posted to this list in your
> Thunderbird.

What ThunderBird? kmail exclusively since about 1998.

> Best regards,
> Tormod

So I did the hg pull;hg update. Looks like it worked but I haven't tried
a build since updating to debian wheezy.

make clean dskclean works.  make fails: (even as sudo root)
gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$ make
*              THE NITROS-9 PROJECT              *
make -C /opt/nitros9/lib && make -C /opt/nitros9/level1 &&
make -C /opt/nitros9/level2 && make -C /opt/nitros9/level3 &&
make -C /opt/nitros9/3rdparty && :
make[1]: Entering directory `/opt/nitros9/lib'
lwasm --6309 --format=obj --pragma=pcaspcr,condundefzero,undefextern,dollarnotlocal,export --includedir=. --includedir=/opt/nitros9/defs -DNOS9VER=3 -DNOS9MAJ=3 -DNOS9MIN=0 -DNOS9DBG=1
sys6809l1.as -osys6809l1.o
make[1]: execvp: lwasm: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [sys6809l1.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/nitros9/lib'
make: *** [all] Error 2
gene at coyote:/opt/nitros9$

Yet the path to /opt/lwtools is defined, there are x's all over in an
ls -l, and its all owned by gene:www-data.

And I just made myself a member of group www-data & started a new
terminal, same error.  And vice-versa, same no perms error.

Any clue?

Something seems fubar.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)