[Coco] Drivewire

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 22:03:21 EDT 2014

Technically, DriveWire will run on nearly anything.  I've used it on a
100mhz arm system with 32mb of ram.

Realistically, you probably want something with 20 times those specs if you
have the choice (and given how cheap PCs are today you probably do).

If you're looking at Windows, again the technical limit is quite low (win
95 iirc) but realistically you almost certainly want windows 7.

With OSX I believe 10.4 is the oldest version that runs java 6.  If its a
concern you'll want to verify that.  Any version that does support java 6
would work, but again you probably want and can get something newer than
the minimum needed.

Linux is no problem with anything even remotely current.  Again, some
implementation of a Java 6 compatible jvm would be the key, but I think it
would be hard to find a Linux that doesn't have at least one available,
plus there are open source jvms you could build if not.

Ram needed (beyond what tour chosen OS needs) is ~8mb + size of disks you
want to mount, although I think I changed things so local file based disks
don't require backing ram.  In any case, not much.

Storage space is about 30mb + size of your disks.  It runs fine from a USB
key or network drive or whatever too, if storage is an issue.

DW doesn't use floppy drives directly, but if you wanted to use one of the
tools that does to create images for dw, you'll want to investigate the
requirements of those tools.  I think they are rather outdated and require
specific operating systems, types of drives, etc.

-aaron