[Coco] MShell The Ultimate OS9 File Manager

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 16:05:53 EST 2014

Ok, I was going to wait until I had a few more features and a few more bugs squashed, but since very few here seem to believe that this can be done, I've decided to release the beta version of MShell. It's far from finsihed, but is very functional  in what is finished.

WARNING: The PC file/directory functions work ONLY on a Windows Dw4 server. I am currently trying to figure out what is happening when trying to read a Linux server and will give an update when I get it solved. All other dw4 functions (reading/writing to dw4 VHDs) work properly on a Linux server. Trying to read a Linux PC dir will crash the Coco or emulator, destroy large cities, reverse street signs, stop up your sewers, and steal your left shoe... you were warned!! (I actually considered renaming MShell to "Experiment 626")
PS, I need someone with a Mac DW4 server to test this.

What is finished you ask? Even if you didn't ask, I'm going to tell you :-P

MShell's Special "Features":

Virtual memory buffers - MShell will use most of 512k (required) and up to most of 2meg for buffers when needed. This is not saying it needs that much memory, but will use all it can get when it's there.

Automatic RBF Device Enumeration - Mshell recognizes all drive systems on your  system and creates a custom point-n-click drive selection for your system.

User Custom Defaults - MShell allows you to choose the 2 directories it starts up in, L or R mouse/joyport, standard/hires interface, and  screen colors, etc... all set as defaults and loaded each time MShell is run.

Dual Panel/Directory GUI - MShell uses 2 panels with 2 text columns in each panel to display 42 directory entries in each panel (84 total), each independantly scrollable and selectable.

Mouse/Joystick/Keyboard - MShell caters to mouse or joystic, with or without a hires interface, or you can use the keyboard shortcuts with no mouse/joystick.

DriveWire4 Compatible - MShell will use dw4 (if present) for many functions, including reading and writing files to and from the server's hard drive (dw4 only). Dw4 is NOT required to run MShell, but definately gives it more power.

Menu Driven - MShell uses 5 different menu styles (mouse select, check box, key select etc) using absolutely no OS9/MultiVue menu functions (or graphic calls for that matter)
Graphics Handler - MShell has it's own "graphics shell" that runs in it's own 64k workspace in the background, handling all graphics functions, text printing and menu drawing.
Status Bar -MShell display drive and file stats on the bottom bar for various functions.
No User Input Required - MShell requires absolutely no user input therefore eliminating "User Error". All functions/features are menu/list selectable.

MShell's Functions (or, what it can do):

Browse OS9 directories
Copy OS9 file to OS9 file.
Copy OS9 file to RSDOS file
Copy OS9 file to PC file (dw4 only)
Make new OS9 directories
Delete OS9 files
Move OS9 files (same as copy above but deletes the original)
Browse RSDOS disks and partitions
Copy RSDOS file to OS9 file
Delete RSDOS file
Move RSDOS file (same as copy above but deletes the original
Browse PC directories (dw4 only)
PC file to OS9 file (dw4 only)
Mount ".dsk", ".vhd", and ".os9" images from the PC directories into Dw4 drive slots (auto recognized)
Internet Update - Mshell can update itself from the internet update site (dw4 only) (currently disabled due to a stack leak I'm trying to find, it was working up to 2 versions back)

MShell's "Coming Soon" (or wish list):

Copy RSDOS file to RSDOS file (was included but removed due to lack of memory, soon to be back)
Copy RSDOS file to PC file
Copy PC file to RSDOS file
Set OS9 file attributes
Batch copies/deletes/moves on ALL levels
Copy directories (OS9 only)
Delete directories (OS9 only)
Sort directories (OS9 only)
Memory check
Free Drive space check (OS9 only)
Run other MShell modules. I will be adding more modules to MShell soon. MShell will "chain" these modules with the ability to come back to MShell from all modules (remember DeskMate?).

MShell Site & Download:

MShell website, blog and download
https://sites.google.com/site/dabarnstudio/mshell---the-ultimate-os-9-gui
Download MShell direct:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23059963/MShell/MShell%201.0.2q.zip

MShell is a culmination of everything I've learned about OS9 in 25+ years and some I'm still learning. It won't take long after running MShell to see that the limits of OS9 are pushed to the outer core.

The error trapping system is not exactly comeplete yet, so, don't try to do something it's not meant to do. If it ain't in the menus, it don't do it.
If you get a weird error, or MShell crashes, let me know so I can laugh at you... seriously though, let me know if something is out of place or does not work. This software is not yet finished, so it's still got plenty of bugs to be squahed.

!!!PLEASE READ THE INCLUDED TEXT FILE BEFORE RUNNING!!!
Most if not all "key commands" and functions are listsed in the text file as are system requirements and setup instructions.
I will ignore any questions on things that are explained in this file.

And as with all "Barn Studios" releases, all complaints and suggestions will be ignored and compliments appreciated :-P
And.... THROW MONEY!!!
Enjoy MShell......

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/