[Coco] NitrOS-9 on a 128k Coco-3

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Jun 18 09:03:12 EDT 2014

Kandur wrote:
> Thanks for the link Bill and many thanks to all who helped.
> I've got 'nos96809l2v030300coco3_80d.dsk' up and running on my 128k Coco-3.
> It came up with a very dark green background with black letters, hardly legible.
> Edited the startup file, changed the display to white background with black letters.
> It looks great, but after every new boot I have to run '/DD/startup' manually, despite it's attributes are set to e and pe. It seems the startup file is ignored at boot. Help please!
> I'm feverishly studying the 'OS-9 Level II and the Tandy Color Computer 3' excellent tutorial by Rodger Alexander. Oh boy, I forgot almost everything, and worse then that,
> I'm mixing up the os-9 and linux commands. (:
> While I have your ears, can someone tell me, what fd descriptor do I need for my 5.25" drives, to read 160 track diskettes? Yes, my os-9 backups are on DS, 80track on each side, 5.25" floppies.
> In general, is there a good place to find fd and hd descriptor samples, tutorials somewhere?
>
> Kandur

You may have damaged the startup file. What does it say after you edited it?
Startup does not require e or pe attributes to be used.

How did you change the display to white background with black letters? By
implication you did something to startup (you mentioned nothing else) but that
should be done by changing /term either with xmode and cobbler or using dEd to
edit term in OS9Boot.

If you are booting from a Drivewire disk (has dw in the name) then you will find
examples of descriptors in the directory tree NitrOS-9/6809l2/modules/rbf. You
can also use the command
dmode /D0
to get an idea of the default parameters for a floppy drive. Hard drives are not
standard in size so you will need to specify a specific unit and the specs
before we can advise on descriptor settings.