[Coco] OS-9 HD backup

Kandur k at qdv.pw
Wed Aug 27 20:53:39 EDT 2014

> I used toolshed to extract the config.01 file from the disk image and
> confirmed that it is not compressed. I have no idea what created it, but it
> is essentially an uncompressed tarball created with something other than
> tar. The format seems to be $AA55 as a leader, the filename terminated with
> $0D, and a 16-byte header, and then the contents of the file. For example,
> the first couple of entries look like this:

I used UltraEdit to look into this file.
> AA 55 config/CMDS 0D
> BF 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
> 01 00 00 01 80 59 03 05

> AA 55 config/CMDS/Basic09 0D
> 2F 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
> 01 00 00 5A CC 59 03 05
> ... uncompressed contents of Basic09 ...

> AA 55 config/CMDS/RunB 0D
> 2F 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
> 01 00 00 2F 99 59 03 05
> ... uncompressed contents of RunB ...

> It looks as if AA 55 is just a header identifier, the first byte of the
> header (BF and 2F) may be the file attributes, and bytes 13 and 14 (01 80,
> 5A CC, and 2F 99) may be the file size. In other words, Basic09 is in bytes
> 0044 through 5B10 for a total of 5ACC bytes. I suspect the file size for the
> directory entries could be the size of the directory at the time the backup
> set was created ($0180 / $20 = 12 directory entries).

That's why I colored 'AA 55' red.
AA and 55 are binary compliments of each other,
if I remember well, the same byte pattern is used
to delineate sectors and/or tracks on some disks.
I'm really going out on a limb, but I remember faintly,
that the Kansas City tape standard also used this pattern in as the leader.
> The remainder of the bytes in the header seem to stay pretty much the same
> in the headers I've looked at.

> Given the apparent simplicity of the format, it shouldn't take long to come
> up with something to extract all the files if it isn't BRU or some other
> known format.

HDKIT's Archdir properly identified the files in the archive.
I used:  archdir -v <config.os9 >config-dir
however,
bigfile -r /d1/config.os9 #32k ! restore /x1 -v #32k
could not find the files, each were listed ok, but with error 216.
> Of course, given the caveat that this is based on a quick 5-minute peek
> through the file while I was eating supper.

Gene suggested that the program may have been called 'archive'
I'm looking for it.

Kandur

>>> Kandur