[Coco] OS-9 HD backup

Greg Law glaw at live.com
Wed Aug 27 20:10:53 EDT 2014

I used toolshed to extract the config.01 file from the disk image and
confirmed that it is not compressed. I have no idea what created it, but it
is essentially an uncompressed tarball created with something other than
tar. The format seems to be $AA55 as a leader, the filename terminated with
$0D, and a 16-byte header, and then the contents of the file. For example,
the first couple of entries look like this:

AA 55 config/CMDS 0D
BF 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
01 00 00 01 80 59 03 05

AA 55 config/CMDS/Basic09 0D
2F 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
01 00 00 5A CC 59 03 05
... uncompressed contents of Basic09 ...

AA 55 config/CMDS/RunB 0D
2F 00 00 59 03 05 07 2B
01 00 00 2F 99 59 03 05
... uncompressed contents of RunB ...

It looks as if AA 55 is just a header identifier, the first byte of the
header (BF and 2F) may be the file attributes, and bytes 13 and 14 (01 80,
5A CC, and 2F 99) may be the file size. In other words, Basic09 is in bytes
0044 through 5B10 for a total of 5ACC bytes. I suspect the file size for the
directory entries could be the size of the directory at the time the backup
set was created ($0180 / $20 = 12 directory entries).

The remainder of the bytes in the header seem to stay pretty much the same
in the headers I've looked at.

Given the apparent simplicity of the format, it shouldn't take long to come
up with something to extract all the files if it isn't BRU or some other
known format.

Of course, given the caveat that this is based on a quick 5-minute peek
through the file while I was eating supper.