[Coco] The .DSK format/structure

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 22:17:55 EDT 2014

OS9 (and nitros9) file systems use the RBF format and are relatively easy
to detect by looking for a valid RBF volume header in the first few
sectors.  There are a number of sanity checks that can be done to validate
an RBF filesystem.

DECB filesystems are harder to be sure of, but by looking for reasonable
values in the directory sector and cluster chain you can still be fairly
sure (also, the fact that a disk does not contain an RBF filesystem makes
it likely to contain a DECB filesystem, though there are certainly some
exceptions.)

DriveWire uses a system of checks and votes to determine what filesystem is
present in a .DSK image.  It is not foolproof in theory, but in practice
seems to be accurate with real world situations.

The code can be found here and used or adapted in any way anyone would like:

http://drivewireserver.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/drivewireserver/drivewireserver/java/src/com/groupunix/drivewireserver/dwdisk/filesystem/