[Coco] Playing or converting CAS files

Charlie Pelosi chaspelosi at outlook.com
Sun Aug 17 17:46:57 EDT 2014

I fired up my old Win98 PC and Used the Jeff V. emu and casout.exe to make
wav files. I struggled with it for a bit for a few reasons...
For one, the Madness and the Minotaur CAS file at the repository just can't
seem to be converted and of course that was the one I was using to play
with.
Second, the old PC, a PII233 Win98SE sound blaster AWE32 card just could not
play back a CAS able to be recorded and loaded on the coco.
I even tried my Yamaha cassette deck match the recording levels to retail
coco tapes, but no go.
When I used casout to make WAV files and sent them over to my modern Windows
7 laptop, the coco could read them perfectly and was able to record them to
tape with no issues too.
So.. no idea why the old PC couldn't play them back ok...
I wouldn't have wasted so much time if I had picked the old game "Middle
Kingdom" to play with 1st. What ever the issue with Madness is had me stuck
thinking it was something to do with volume and all that..
-C