[Coco] Wayne Green, magazine pioneer, dies at 91...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 21 17:09:27 EDT 2013

On Saturday 21 September 2013 16:51:36 Al Hartman did opine:

> Monday, September 16, 2013
>
> PETERBOROUGH — An iconic figure in the Peterborough publishing
> industry, Wayne Green, died Friday at the age of 91.
>
> A ham radio enthusiast who created 73 magazine in the early 1960s, he
> was one of the founders of Byte magazine, which eventually became the
> nation’s largest computer publication. After leaving Byte, he went on
> to found a number of other computing magazines, including Kilobaud
> (later called Microcomputing),  80-Micro,  inCider,  Hot CoCo  and  RUN
>  before selling his company to IDG in the early 1980s and moving on to
> create magazines about music and cold fusion technology.
>
> http://www.ledgertranscript.com/artsliving/8535625-95/wayne-green-magazi
> ne-pioneer-dies-at-91
>

> I really enjoyed 80-Micro and Hot Coco...
>
> At one time, I subscribed to Kilobaud/Microcomputing, 80-Micro, inCider,
> and Hot Coco.
>
> -[ Al ]-

That is sad news indeed Al, thanks for the relay.  Wayne was I think, one
of the more intelligent folks in the publishing business, knowledgeable on
many subjects.  My first knowledge of him was as the editor of 73 Magazine
in the '70's when I was the bench tech at Norfolk 2-way Radio, keeping the
huge majority of Nebraska's trucker's CB radios on the air and semi-legal.
My last business with him was the purchase of one of his colloidal silver
making kits, which FWIW, I still use.  From his most memorable editorial a
month or so before our 1976 Centennial was him discussing just how the
Brits considered Franklin and all his buddies as traitors to be hung on
sight, but they represented the faction that led to our independence with
an attitude "if you don't like the situation, raise hell and stick a brick
under one corner of it."  Which is exactly what they did.  The result was
carved into our Constitution and Bill of Rights although it took 20+ years
to get it ratified.

Yup, I'll miss Wayne.  Godspeed to a Wayne Green from a friend he probably
didn't know he had.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Atlanta:
	An entire city surrounded by an airport.
         law-abiding citizens.