[Coco] new problem with unpack

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 28 17:49:08 EDT 2013

On Monday 28 October 2013 17:45:56 Wayne Campbell did opine:

> I think you're almost grokking the problem. The memory allocation for
> unpack (just the main module and the getHeader sub-routine) is <1K. The
> other modules called by unpack are loaded and run from the disk using
> the RUN statement. I am also using the KILL statement to remove a
> module when it is done with it's part of the job. The other modules,
> readCode, defVars, buildSrc and instruction, all have near 8K of data
> memory requirements. readCode and instruction go over the 8K boundary,
> the other two are just under 8K required. The two that are over 8K
> memory requirement are bombing because RunB doesn't seem to allocate
> the memory properly. As I said before, this goes all the way back to
> OS9 L2, and is not "new to NitrOS9". While I am not sure about the
> shell or the system having anything to do with the issue, I believe
> RunB is the culprit. I think it has a problem with trying to allocate
> more than 8K to a procedure that initially needed <8K (and in this
> case, <1K).
>
> I need help determining this, and determining what (if any) workaround
> there is. I am still trying to solve it here, but my knowledge of the
> system is wanting. I am thinking about the system calls for requesting
> more memory, but I do not know which one, or how to implement it in a
> Basic09 routine. I have never seen a Basic09 procedure that made memory
> requests from the system.
>
> I uploaded a new copy of the unpack.os9 disk image to the decode site
> today.
>
> Wayne

Wayne:  I just recalled that one of the things my "vfy" can do is modify
the default amount of memory a module about to be executed will ask the
system for.  Look at the help screen it spits out for advice.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Why does New Jersey have more toxic waste dumps and California have
more lawyers?

New Jersey had first choice.
         law-abiding citizens.