[Coco] new problem with unpack

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 13:38:31 EDT 2013

I think you're almost grokking the problem. The memory allocation for
unpack (just the main module and the getHeader sub-routine) is <1K. The
other modules called by unpack are loaded and run from the disk using the
RUN statement. I am also using the KILL statement to remove a module when
it is done with it's part of the job. The other modules, readCode, defVars,
buildSrc and instruction, all have near 8K of data memory requirements.
readCode and instruction go over the 8K boundary, the other two are just
under 8K required. The two that are over 8K memory requirement are bombing
because RunB doesn't seem to allocate the memory properly. As I said
before, this goes all the way back to OS9 L2, and is not "new to NitrOS9".
While I am not sure about the shell or the system having anything to do
with the issue, I believe RunB is the culprit. I think it has a problem
with trying to allocate more than 8K to a procedure that initially needed
<8K (and in this case, <1K).

I need help determining this, and determining what (if any) workaround
there is. I am still trying to solve it here, but my knowledge of the
system is wanting. I am thinking about the system calls for requesting more
memory, but I do not know which one, or how to implement it in a Basic09
routine. I have never seen a Basic09 procedure that made memory requests
from the system.

I uploaded a new copy of the unpack.os9 disk image to the decode site today.

Wayne