[Coco] hardware scrolling

Torsten Dittel OS-9 at TRS-80.CC
Sun Oct 27 15:26:40 EDT 2013

Simon,

this looks really impressive. And I thought I had squeezed anything out of
the CoCo2 way back then... ;-)

Regarding the "yawn, had all allready been there..." which came up here
recently:

I claim I have seen a lot of VDG mode switching tricks on the CoCo and
tried out a lot myself (e.g. my Dragonfire "intro" with mixed modes, smooth
hi-res scrolling both horizontally and vertically and on-border segment
coloring and animation, http://www.6809.org.uk/tmp/da/pal_coco_probe/pal-
dragonfire-1.png ). Let's assume you're not copying bytes in memory to show
horizontal scrolling, and do not achieve this by keeping several "shifted"
images in the memory, and do just "vertical page flipping" like in a flip-
book: I have never seen what you're showing in the last video as an effect
of SAM/VDG programming.

And what's even more impressive is that you can obviously truely "draw" on
the right border (not sure how difficult it is for a standard monitor to
catch such a video signal - some PAL color TV's did neither like the
Dragonfire intro thing because of a weird toggling of the color burst
signal).

If you ever manage to show a stable picture (without garbage), which is
wider than 256 pixel, I'm the first one to applaud.

I think the concerns which came up are related to the amount of CPU load it
takes to bring the SAM/VDG to what it's showing. If you have to write
several bytes per scanline to the involved registers to get a stable
picture (e.g. triggered by a Fast Sync interrupt), the CPU can hardly do
anthing else but showing that mode. This means you could not use it for an
action type game, however, there are programs where it could be useful, and
if it is "just" a demo / intro / slideshow etc., it would be still a great
achievement, assuming you could get rid of the garbage (e.g. fill the
involved memory areas with with monocolored pixels).

Currently, it looks like all you're showing is in "PMODE4,1:SCREEN1,0"
(light green on dark green). I assume it would be even more fun to extend
this to other modes including color (or to the SCREEN1,1 variant).

Please don't stop having fun figuring this out - might be boring for some
of the guys who started with a CoCo3, but I'm a heavily interested
follower...

Best regards,
Torsten