[Coco] 80 column pak prototype

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Oct 23 15:09:55 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 14:32:26 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did opine:

> I'm taking both grounds top/bottom through a via. Ain't this enough ?

As a ground, and in my probing, its not a very good ground.  The cartridge
ear clips are much better & quieter grounds.

How much ground bounce will be impressed on that cartridge port pin ground
depends on whats out there plugged into that port.  With a late coco3
patched mpi out there, ground bounce in the mpi can exceed 2 volts with the
ears plugged in!  I added some additional power buss bypassing, and several
runners of solder wick, in spaghetti for shorts protection, from various
points back to the boards ears, and got the bounce down into the 200
millivolt range, and my mpi, nor anything plugged into it has made a data
mistake since.  I also sawed the solder plated contact edge off and put a
gold plated replacement on it, but that didn't stop all the errors, the
extra bypassing and grounding did.  The ground busing in the late mpi looks
as if it was added as an afterthought when laying the board out as its
quite circuitous in getting to where its needed.  Some parts on the later
mpi have ground connections that are at least 16" of trace getting back to
the cartridge port.  With my mods, 6" max.

One thing that may have a bearing, my coco3 has a 63C09 in it, and the rise
and fall times of the 63C09's signal edges are at least 5x faster that any
6809 I ever stuck a scope probe on.  I get the impression that if we rigged
a downclock /4 for the rest of the machine to put the video back to normal
speeds, that 63C09 could run very happily at 20+ megahertz when it wasn't
waiting for the external stuff to wake up.  John Kowalski's speed kit on
steroids.  Signal edge rise and fall times are A, to within millivolts of
both supply rails as its cmos, and B, well under 20 ns.  For a coco, that
is not fast, its damned fast!  The 68B09 in the coco3 might make that same
10 to 90% swing in 110 ns.  But the logic 1 state is only about 3.28 volts,
not 4.98 running from a 5.05 volt rail.  The noise immunity just from that
is many times better.  At the same time, those rise & fall times also make
circuits a foot away ring like the liberty bell, but without the cracks, so
its a mixed blessing that will bite the unwary pcb designer where it hurts.