[Coco] CoCo Hard Drive History

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 13 15:38:59 EDT 2013

On Sunday 13 October 2013 15:35:19 Daniel Campos did opine:

> Em 12/10/2013 23:01, tonym escreveu:
> > I believe the B&B supported the WD1002-WX1, WD1002-XTGEN, and
> > WD1002-27X (RLL). I have 2-3 of those things in the garage in the
> > CoCo storage bins...
>
> My CoCoXT came with a WD1002A-27X controller:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/109345699838454178536/InterfacesDeDriveEOut
> rasEncomendas#5934321946422386930
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/109345699838454178536/InterfacesDeDriveEOut
> rasEncomendas#5934321939178339346
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/109345699838454178536/InterfacesDeDriveEOut
> rasEncomendas#5934321931455181154
>
> http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/U-Z/WESTERN-DIG
> ITAL-CORPORATION-Two-RLL-ST506-412-driv-220.html#.UlrtoFCkpfc
>

> Can I use MFM drives with it or just RLL ones ?
>
> Daniel

While the encoding and decoding is in the controller, theoretically yes,
practically no as it increases the density of the recording to the point of
not being very reliable when the drive isn't rated for it.  I'd see if I
could find a card that isn't RLL, it will be, in my experience, much more
dependable.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

I've always made it a solemn practice to never drink anything stronger
than tequila before breakfast.
		-- R. Nesson
         law-abiding citizens.