[Coco] OS-9 80-column driver is ready

nickma at optusnet.com.au nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 8 19:18:35 EDT 2013

> lol, out-of-date :) You mean that as good or bad?
> This is the CoCo mailing list isn't it?

There is old and there is older.

The CoCo is 80's technology. We had color and bitmapped screens then.

Monochrome  80 column displays is 70's technology. The dumb terminal
era.

That's what I mean by out-of-date. Although I agree that on a CoCo1,
80x24 text is an upgrade over 32x16 text.   :)

But to run Level 1 at .89Mhz? Wouldn't a CoCo3 off ebay be cheaper
than building an 80 column card? Plus you get Level 2 OS-9 and a
1.7Mhz "accellerator" as a bonus.   :)

> If you have been constrained to 32x16 characters,
> this is definitely a head turner.

I agree. I always hated the VDG and I was so glad the CoCo3 got the
GIME chip.

> The msx2+ uses the vdp9958 the same one Kip is fiddling with and it
has
> 80 columns and true bitmap modes, superimpose, smooth scroll,
sprites etc.

Now this is the chip I'd like to see interfaced to the CoCo!

This would be a head turner!   :)

Nick