[Coco] Building NitrOS-9 Woes

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Oct 6 22:09:06 EDT 2013

On Sunday 06 October 2013 21:49:25 Kip Koon did opine:

> Hi All!
>
> I'm trying to build NitrOS-9 again and I keep getting "failed" rather
> often. Although most of the error messages don't make it to the
> buildlog.txt file I redirected the make command output to, the failed
> messages are there.  Here is the link
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg3tndgqbo5n4f7/buildlog.txt
>
> to the buildlog.txt file for someone to peruse.  It's 430KB long.  I
> have never been able to compile the nitros9 project thus far.  I'm
> running Cygwin on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 which is my preferred
> platform.  Do I need to run this on my 32-bit Windows 7 installation?
> I have not tried that yet. Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you in
> advance.
>
> Kip

Your repository pull is at least 2 years old.  Maybe 5 or 6, I can't recall
the last time the makefiles actually used rma for the assembler.

You need the latest versions of

lwtools
toolshed
nitros9

all of which are now in mercurial, aka hg, repositories.

If you can install hg, then this script if compatible with your Cygwin
shell, should pull & build it all.
=================================
#!/bin/bash
# since I'm always forgetting to sudo...
if [ `whoami` != 'root' ]; then
	echo
	echo "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
	echo "this script needs to be run by root"
	echo
	echo
	exit 1
fi
mv lwtools lwtools-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://lwtools.projects.l-w.ca/hg/ lwtools
cd lwtools
make
make install
cd ..
echo
echo
echo "lwtools has been built, next is toolshed"
echo
echo
chown -R gene:www-data lwtools # make visible to the web
mv toolshed toolshed-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/toolshed/code toolshed
cd toolshed
make -C build/unix install
cd hdbdos
make
cd ../..
chown -R gene:www-data toolshed # make visible to the web
echo
echo
echo "toolshed has been built and installed, next is nitros9"
echo
echo
mv nitros9 nitros9-$(date +%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M)
hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/nitros9/code nitros9
cd nitros9
hg update lwtools-port # this step is temporarily needed
export NITROS9DIR=$PWD
mkdir dsks # this step is temporarily needed
make dsk
make dskcopy
cd ..
chown -R gene:www-data nitros9
echo
echo
echo "this completes the build of lwtools, toolshed, and nitros9"

You may need to comment out by putting a # in front of those lines using
the "chown" command as I've no clue if Cygwin knows what to do with it.

The mv commands are similarly moot if the directory doesn't currently
exist.

Those are exclusively so you can see and download it from my web page if
you'd like. And for me to have a time stamped snapshot as a backup in case
something goes south.