[Coco] SysCall source listing (and OS-9 source code find)

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Nov 28 09:27:54 EST 2013

On 11/27/2013 11:49 PM, Joel Ewy wrote:
> On 11/27/2013 10:07 PM, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>> Please do that, Joel. It will help to answer the question.
> Here's what I've found.  I took another look at all the OS-9 disks
> that come with the SWTPC emulator using Toolshed and found no instance
> of SysCall, nor did I see a mention of it in a PDF of a Microware
> BASIC09 manual from 1984 that was supposed to have come with a GIMIX
> computer.
>
> I did find among the SWTPC emulator disk images some interesting files
> that appear to be commented original Microware source code for os9p1,
> os9p2, sysgo, Clock, and several utilities.  If you want to take a
> look at this, it is in SJT002.DSK, which can be found
> here:http://www.evenson-consulting.com/swtpc/Downloads.htm in the
> "Full Kit".  It is a Windows executable that will extract and install
> under Wine.  I think I've had it running under Wine before, but I have
> since upgraded to Xubuntu 13.10 (can't stand Unity Desktop) and need
> to do something (possibly install .net or Mono or something) to get
> the emulator to run.
>
> JCE

Here's a note included with the OS-9 source files:
                         OS-9 SOURCE FILE INFORMATION

       Description of the source

        1 - The "Kernal" is composed of two parts.  OS9P1 is the source
       for the "P1" ROM which goes at $F800.  OS9P2 contains the rest of
       the  OS-9 Kernal and the INIT module.  The OS9P2 and INIT modules
       go in the  "P2" ROM along  with the BOOT module.   You will find
       source  to a BOOT module for either the specified disk controller
       or a representative sample.

        2 - There are three device  drivers  included.   "Acia"  is the
       MC6850  acia  device  driver.  "Pia" is the MC6821(20) pia device
       driver.  The Acia and Pia drivers are "SCF" (sequential character
       file)  type device drivers.   Then there is a DRVR  (disk driver)
       for either the specified  controller or a representative sample.
       The disk  driver  is an "RBF" (random  block  file ) type device
       driver.

        3 - There are several device descriptors included.  "Term", "T1"
       and "P1"  are acia type device descriptors. The first two are for
       terminals and  the other is for a serial  printer.   "P" is a pia
       type device  descriptor for a parallel printer.

        4 - The "Shell" is source for the  "command  interpreter". Our
       experience  has  shown  that  changes  to  shell  can often cause
       seemingly  unrelated  problems  which  are really shell problems.
       Therefore be careful if you modify this source.

        5  -  The "Sysdefs.sys" file is  used to define  the particular
       system for which this source was created.   It should be moved to
       your DEFS  directory.   It is used by many of the source files to
       define changeable configurations for different systems. It is the
       user's  responsibility to check  that the  sysdefs match  what is
       currently  needed for his  system and make any  required changes.
       The  defsfile is a convenient file for "using" all the different
       OS-9 definitions files.

        6  -  In  addition  there  is an assortment of example utilities
       which will give you a good look at how to use  OS-9  in assembly
       language  programs.  Comments on several of these: You may notice
       a similarity  between Copy, List, and Merge.  This is a result of
       OS-9's  unified I/O  handling.   Note  that  SYSGO is the system
       starter  module which sets  up the default  directories and keeps
       the system  going even if shell "dies".   Details on SYSGO can be
       found in the System Programmers Manual.

        7  -  NOTE:  Not all of the utilities are included in the source
       package.  The intent in sending out any of them is to guide users
       into good programming techniques.   Those sent are representative
       of the utilities done by Microware.

           (C) 1980 Microware Systems Corporation and Motorola Inc.

Anybody here ever seen this before?

JCE