[Coco] Need to Port NitrOS-9 6x09 L2 to N8VEM's New 6x0x Board

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at ramoth.org.uk
Tue Nov 26 10:53:44 EST 2013

On 26/11/2013 15:30, Darren A wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:
>
>> If the board supports the 6809E it will support the 6309E. The difference
>> is in software, not hardware (as far as the CPU itself is concerned),
>> remember? We stick 6309E's in CoCos that were designed for the 6809E all
>> the time...
>
> Their technical paper states that they are NOT using the 6809E but rather
> the non "E" version.  I would assume that a 6309P is likewise pin-for-pin
> compatible with a 6809P but can't say for sure.

And from a porting NitrOS-9 point of view the fact that they use the non
E version doesn't really matter as from a software / programming
standpoint they are the same chip.

It might matter if you where going to interface hardware that took over
the bus IIRC as the E and non E have slightly different external signals
(BA BS AVMA etc).

Cheers.

Phill.