[Coco] Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 22 06:24:12 EDT 2013

On 22/03/2013 1:01 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> And hard drives were more expensive and difficult to support than
> floppies. I have two USB adapters for my Arduinos, and ways to use a
> software implementation to do one for just a few bucks in parts.

Firstly, hard drives are actually easier to support in an FPGA than
floppies. There is a freely available IDE controller on opencores and
they're easier to interface. Source: I've done both.

Secondly, I don't think Gary is planning on using an external micro on his
design, at least not for the 1st draft. USB host controllers in FPGAs
generally require a dedicated soft-core micro and a full blown host stack,
something that uses significant resources. Source: I've done USB on an FPGA.

Regards,