[Coco] Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 20 22:09:01 EDT 2013

On 21/03/2013 6:44 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:

> Also the "cheap" hdmi to dvi converters are actually expensive!
> Another interesting thing I discoverd is that not all converters work
> with all monitors and some monitors don't work with hdmi converted to
> dvi period!

Interesting. DVI should be electrically compatible with HDMI and
converters are nothing more than 2 connectors wired back-to-back. You just
need to make sure that (a) the DVI signal is actually DVI-D and (b) the
converter matches your signal type (single/dual link etc).

> I agree that in the long run vga is a dead end.

VGA is of course much easier to implement than DVI/HDMI. For the former
you simply need some sort of DAC (resistor network or video DAC) but for
the latter you require a transceiver chip (with its clocking and support
circuitry) and it usually requires some sort of power-up configuration via
a serial link.

I would concur that VGA is well and truly on the way out. Having said that
though, this is a hobbyist project and all those "useless" VGA monitors
are probably going to land on some hobbyists desk so... a good match?

Regards,