[Coco] Re Introducing the next generation of Color Computer, the CoCo-X

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Mar 20 20:43:27 EDT 2013

On Mar 20, 2013, at 3:17 PM, Glen VanDenBiggelaar <glenvdb at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 1) a floppy controller right on the motherboard. In this day and age, the CoCo floppy controllers are getting more and more scarce, Yes, some will argue that USB will facilitate this need, but I can't recall ever seeing a 5 1/4 USB floppy drive.

I do not know if, beyond supporting CoCo hardware that already exists, there would be a reason to incorporate floppy hardware on a new design. Hopefully the ONLY time one would use it was to pull data off of disks and store it on a flash drive or something else.

If we want to run copy protected software, that means emulating or having a WD1773 (?) chip -- putting anything else on the motherboard might not offer much that USB couldn't do.

> 2) a 44pin IDE header. This will give us an internal "laptop" harddrive or (with a 99cent board) a compact flash drive,- Yes, some will argue that SATA is the way to go, but right now SATA is expensive compared to used IDE laptop drives.

Since everything ever made for the CoCo could fit on a cheap SD card these days, I don't even think there is a need for a hard drive. Solid state all the way! :)

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sent from my MacBook.

22nd Annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST! April 27-28, 2013. Lombard, IL. http://www.glensideccc.com